Re: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] Re: Glorantha, HeroQuest and metamagic (moved from WoG)

From: Jakob Pape <chaomancer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 21:14:14 +0100

On 6/2/07, Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:

> LC:
> > > magic only supposed to ever be resisted by a
> > personal ability (best relevant) or 14?
>
> RR:
> > Pretty much, yes.
>
> And just to be sure: do we still have the idea that
> one should resist with a magical ability, and that
> mundane ones have it harder? Or not? There was an
> example of a tree being jumped over, IIRC: using
> magical jumping abilities, the (mundane) tree only had
> a Size of 14, but if you used mundane jumping at the
> same rating as your magical jumping, the tree could
> bring its full 10W2 or whatever to bear.

My understanding is that magic's advantage is where it is being used directly fro what it was meant for - so the tree-jump has a resistance of 14 normally, because 'Jump Over Tree' let's you, well, jump over trees. The size of the tree is irrelevant to the magic. It's not that the Size of the tree is reduced to 14, it's that 14 is the base resistance against using magic for what it's meant to do.

On the other hand, I've never let a Humakti use 'Decapitate Foe' against 14 in a fight - active opposition (the other guy really fighting back, say) gets it's full value. That might be a mistake (or a house-rule), though, as it's been ages since I looked at that bit of the book.

--
Jakob Pape

"Sometimes subtlety comes in the form of large explosions and jammed open
airlock doors."