Re: Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:28:12 +0100 (BST)

> > From: "David Dunham" <david_at_...>
> > > So if we're supposed to use our knowledge
> > > of the real world it would never cross
> > >my mind to have a character die from
> > > running to deliver a message.
> >
> > So your knowledge of the real world doesn't
> include the reason the
> original Marathon run was famous?
> >

> Well you originally said
>.... how about the guy who ran the first marathon?

> >Delivered his message in time, then dropped dead of
> >exhaustion. Complete victory: and the protagonist
> ends up "dying".
>
> I'd agree with David that I'd not expect a character
> to drop dead on
> a complete victory for doing something that many
> thousands of people
> do every year .... the London Marathon

Which does not take place over Greek mountains, nor do they do this after having just fought in a major battle. So what does that have to do with it?

Like I say: does your knowledge of the real world not include the reason the original Marathon was famous?

Yahoo! Mail is the world's favourite email. Don't settle for less, sign up for your free account today http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/mail/winter07.html