Re: Mythic Russia, and Pyrrhic Victories (marathon)

From: Hal Bowman <hal_bowman1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 06:47:43 -0700 (PDT)

Straying a bit on this and begging forgiveness for pre-caffeine cloudiness:

Doing something just a bit impossible at large cost, possibly one's life, seems pretty heroic. Like holding up a collapsing mine brace until one's buddies get free or such.

OK, running 26.2 miles won't kill you. Most of the time. Even *I* can do it, and I have such attributes as Loves Donuts and Reluctant to Train.

But I can also tell you that when temps are high, the drop out rate in races climbs too. High temps and rough terrain really make a difference, even to elite athletes. If my hero says "I'm gonna go 26 miles at full tilt over rocky terrain in (Greek) summer heat after a long days exertion" the GM reaction might be...how fast? Oh, two hours? Well fine, but...

In my games, I've always allowed a little something extra for folks willing to take one for the team.

"I jump in front of the shot to save Little Sally, the Plucky Orphan from Down the Street."
"That's a thirteen foot leap"
"Yeah, I really want to save her"
"OK...she'll take her kids to visit your grave every year."

I just chuck the rule book. I mean, if your character is going to be dead, there's not much point to accounting on his sheet. My standard is pretty cinematic - if there's any way at all you could imagine this working, then you succeed. In my example, Sally is a goner if she is 100 feet away, unless the hero had some super leap ability.

This is a bad attitude probably, as it is arbitrary, and I guess the correct thing for me to do is noodle with the hero points mechanic instead. Maybe trading permanent injury or death is worth points. "Grandpa lost his leg in the Jonestown mine. He was last man out, held up the braces until all the rest escaped. He's a great man, Jimmy. You grow up to be like him and you'll be alright."

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!