Re: How do I make a charm?

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:23:58 +0000 (GMT)

> Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
> > Me
> > I think it is can't in the sense that you haven't
> > been taught how to negotiate with outside spirits, a
> > shaman has and uses his shamanistic powers to
> > negotiate on his own behalf. Without that you are
> > using the influence of you Great Spirit to make the
> > spirit tow the line.

> Surely negotiating with an "outside" spirit works
> along the same lines as with an "outside" person? Can
> you communicate with them? Yes: Spirit Face. (Easier
> than with a human, troll, dwarf etc who may not speak
> your language). Can you get them to be friends? Sure.
> Why not? You don't make friends with a human you meet
> in the bar by threatening them with your dad, so why
> would you threaten a spirit with a bigger spirit?

True, but I don't think that this is meant to be used in that aggresssive sense. My view is that you have to have a perminant relationship with something in the spirit plane for the returning fetish spirit to identify you by.* For a practitioner that is his great spirit or majestic spirit, for a shaman that could also be his fetch. So ultimately for a non-shaman any fetish has to have the approval of the great/majestic spirit because they are the gatway by which spirits return. Shamen have more freedom but have to carefully manage their relationships so that they don't upset the spirits they have.

*In RQ days this was done by having POW stored in the spirit plane. I HQ terms this has to be replaced by something. I am guessing that this is the relationships with spirits in the spirit plane. Of course all the spirits in your charms and fetishes are in the mundane plane.

> It may well be easier for her to produce a fetish than
> a charm; she can augment with "makes friends easily"
> and all sorts of other useful stuff.

Yes but you still have to let you big spirit know and he has to approve, hence the idea that the lead skill is you relationship with them.

Gavain