RE: Re: 4 Worlds Ontology

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_...>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:44:15 +0100

I think this belongs on the HeroWars list (it's about Glorantha, not Game Rules), but I can't be bothered to crosspost and annoy people like me who subscribe to both. (BTW, writing annoying duplicate posts to complain about annoying duplicate lists is ... annoying and duplicitous, I suppose).

Nils wrote:

> 1. There is no mystic otherworld.

Correct.

> 2. Are there chaotic otherworlds which are separate from the
> three ordinary ones?

Not within Glorantha. There is certainly chaotic contamination of parts of the Gloranthan otherworlds (e.g. Darkness Age realms of the God Plane; bad places in the Spirit World's landscape; the Hell Plane of the sorcerers' Invisible Measure), and these probably become even more confusing than the way the three Underworlds intertwine (cf. HW-NB p.24). But any hypothetical Realm of Pure Chaos would be external to Glorantha, by definition. Therefore, I would say, it does not count as a Gloranthan Otherworld. (Perhaps it'd be a non-World -- a Void of Chaos?)

Maybe the Great Secret of Primal Chaos allows you to "become one with Chaos" and thereby enter into a Chaotic Otherworld, but by doing so you'd remove yourself from Glorantha, permanently.

Cheers, Nick