Mechanical effects in Extended Contests

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 17:04:00 -0500

    One of the things I struggled with in HQ1 was deciding whether an action in an extended contest should count only as an AP bid, or also have a mechanical effect.
I, at some point, decided that I would split those two things. A declared action either had an effect on abilities or situational modifiers, or it moved the AP - not both. I don't think that was how the system was originally designed, but it worked for me - more or less.

 I know that HQ2 has streamlined extended contests, not the least of which is the "5-point win" system and the elimination of bidding. (Still not sure I like losing bidding, but that's here nor there, I will see when I play it.) My question concerns this aspect of mechanical effect. Has it been clarified, one way or the other? Are there clear examples to show how that makes sense? Do unrelated actions still exist, and when they apply made very clear?

Thoughts from those who have had a chance to bash around with it?

LC