Re: [Is HQ2 Difficult?]

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 06:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

Paolo wrote:
> Would you recommend it to an unexperienced GM: no!

I disagree. If she had read the Sartar book and wanted to play in Sartar, I would absolutely recommend it to her. Even more so if the players had also read the Sartar book (excluding the adventures).

Luke Silburn wrote:
> . . . but how you translate those mechanical aspects into a plausible
> rendering of the game universe were less well explained

The Sartar book (and, presumably, other books to come) fills in the content. The HeroQuest Core Rules are just that -- core rules.

> Take common magic frex, HQ corebook says that a hero gets five CM doohickies
> and that's pretty much it. The trad ref/rules 'conversation' goes something like: <snip>

If the narrator has read the Sartar book and is running a Sartar campaign, she can give exmaples of what's typical, what's atypical, etc.

Genre packs are important to HQ. To answer questions about the world, you have to either know something about the world of make it up as you go along. Looking to rules to answer what the world should be like seems backwards to me. The pwoer of these core rules is that they can model any world. So, I wouldn't look to the HQCR to be your guidance about Glorantha. There's an introduction there, but that's all.

Chris Lemens