Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: kyle3054 <KyleSchuant_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 02:36:06 -0000

"markmohrfield" <markmohrfield_at_...> wrote:

> Gotta say I have a hard time believing that statting out a GURPS character is trivial assuming you are really using all the rules.

As a long-time GURPS GM and player, I have to say it's true.

Players take a long time to make characters, GMs are quick about it. That's because they have a different approach to doing it:

Ideas <----> Stats

going one way is quick, going the other way is slower. I'm sure it'll be the same in HQ2.

Plus, players seek to minimax their characters. This is particularly so in a system with dis/advantages. They try to take disadvantages they feel won't disadvantage them much, and advantages which will dominate the game out of proportion to their point value. It's natural to do this, since they've just the one character.

Whereas a GM has thousands of characters, so they don't care if they're minimaxed or not. It's a lot quicker to build a character if you don't care if they're optimised or having glaring omissions in them or not. I'm sure that'll be the same in HQ2, too.

Cheers,
Kyle