Re: chargen questions about mixed & common magic

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:57:49 -0700 (PDT)

payvyr asks a great question:
> Second, in HQ2, I can see how a theist character could know/have a simple spell or a charm, but I'm less sure how, say,
> an animist could mix in some theistic magic.  Does he take a runic affinity, which is to be treated as a keyword, as an ability?

Here's the problem:
Animism gets magic by negotiating with spirits. A spirit is something you have. Wizardry gets magic by knowing how to manipulate magical essences. A spell is something you know. Theism gets magic by acting like god. An affinity is something you are.

So, how does an animist "be" like a god? I can describe it in narrative, but what do I write on my character sheet?

I think there are actually two sub-cases here. In the first, the animist worships a theistic entity using animist methods. This is what we used to call misapplied worship. In the second, the animist joins a theistic cult, without being generally initiated to a theistic religion.

Any answers?

Chris Lemens