Re: Re: odds

From: Nikodemus Siivola <nikodemus_at_...>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:45:03 +0200

2009/11/7 DanWater <danwater_at_...>:
> " the number before the mastery notation might as well disappear."
>
> This is why it's a problem. With only masteries there isn't enough distinction between
> characters or even seperate abilities for one character. As a system that puts character
> front and center anything that dilutes the differences between characters or abilities
> within a character runs counter to the systems purpose.

I thought so, till I ran the numbers taking levels of success into account -- which also led me to embrace the "high roll wins marginals" optional rule.

This is the standard rule, with a relative histogram of result distribution. Even here a minor and major victories are twice as likely for the better score.

Ability: 15, Resistance: 10, Tie-breaker: low-roll-wins Complete Victory: *
Major Victory: ************
Minor Victory:

Marginal Victory:  *********************
Tie:               ********
Marginal Defeat:   ******************************************************
Minor Defeat:      ******************************
Major Defeat:      *******

Compleat Defeat: *
Wins 51.3%, Loses: 45.0%

What is the effect of high-roll-wins over low-roll-wins? Glad you asked! It swaps the marginals around:

Ability: 15, Resistance: 10, Tie-breaker: high-roll-wins Complete Victory: *
Major Victory: ************
Minor Victory:

Marginal Defeat:   *********************
Major Defeat:      *******

Compleat Defeat: *
Wins 67.5%, Loses: 28.8%

I prefer this, but the low-roll-wins isn't too shabby either.

Cheers,