Re: Hurts and bumping contests

From: Stephen <stephenmcg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:24:15 -0000

> So, just to clarify, you want it to be "take a hurt, increase the
> result" in a single exchange of an extended contest?
>
> For example: Captain Halak is at 2-2 in his duel with the Red Senator.
> He scores a minor victory, bringing himself to 4-2, but he knows he's
> gotten lucky so far. He takes a hurt -3 on something relevant to push
> that minor victory to a major and make it a 5-2 victory.

Like that, yes, that's what I was thinking of.

> Or, at 2-2, the Red Senator scores a lucky major victory, bringing him
> to 5-2 for a victory. Captain Halak is pretty sure the odds are with him
> if he can just hold on, so he takes a guaranteed -3 to something and
> bumps it down to a minor victory and a 4-2 score. It's a gamble though,
> because if he loses, he will end up with two lingering effects from the
> struggle.

Yeah, like that too. :)

> Finally, would you want to allow more than one bump? (Take an impaired
> or an injured?)

I was thinking that it could be something that the GM could offer at dramatically appropriate times. Kind of like the scene where the only way to beat the superior swordsman was to direct the strike through your own body to catch the man behind you...

Congratulations - you won the fight, unfortuneately you are mortally wounded - enjoy it while you can or seek extreme magic!