Re: Re: Hurts and bumping contests

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 21:49:33 -0500

Stephen wrote:

> Went away and read again. The mastery bonus for the pyrrhic victory is
> for the whole of a contest (be it simple or extended). I was thinking
> of this being used for a one-off exchange within an extended contest.

So, just to clarify, you want it to be "take a hurt, increase the result" in a single exchange of an extended contest?

For example: Captain Halak is at 2-2 in his duel with the Red Senator. He scores a minor victory, bringing himself to 4-2, but he knows he's gotten lucky so far. He takes a hurt -3 on something relevant to push that minor victory to a major and make it a 5-2 victory.

Or, at 2-2, the Red Senator scores a lucky major victory, bringing him to 5-2 for a victory. Captain Halak is pretty sure the odds are with him if he can just hold on, so he takes a guaranteed -3 to something and bumps it down to a minor victory and a 4-2 score. It's a gamble though, because if he loses, he will end up with two lingering effects from the struggle.

Finally, would you want to allow more than one bump? (Take an impaired or an injured?)

I might include this as an occasional option. I do like having more tactical choices for extended contests than we currently have. LC