Augment-only stats

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 16:34:55 -0500

 Hey y'all.

 The Sartar book (and the HQ2 Glorantha appendix) use the idea of some magic (such as common magic) being a stat that can ONLY be used as an augment. I didn't much like this rule in HQ1 and I find it even more mysterious in HQ2, where augments are already limited. It seems to me that the credibility tests put into place that it can't do extraordinary effects and cannot be used without a mundane action accompanying it are more than enough to give the feel.

I don't see any "augment-only" stats in HQ2, although I may be missing something. There are lots of cases where a broad ability will almost always be used as an augment because the credibility test for it helping is different than for it being actively engaged (where it is more likely to suffer a stretch or other situational penalty) but not "you cannot ever use this ability as anything other than an augment". There are, IIRC, abilities that are stated to only be useable as a stretch. Don't have the book on me, so again I might be misremembering.

Do others find this a useful category to put abilities into? I don't, but am happy to hear reasoning by people who have found it a good category to have.

LC