Re: stretches and credibility checks - anyone else having difficulty?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 22:21:33 +0000

Hal Bowman wrote:

> Maybe it's just my "simulationist" bais, but I am finding it hard to
> handle the difficulty levels, stretch and credibility check aspects of
> the game. I am not an encyclopedia of information about vehicles,
> weapons, etc., so I am finding myself reaching for other game
> rulebooks to set the appropriate levels of difficulty, etc. Knowing
> how far a ditch is across in meters matters, because it may be a
> "Nearly Impossible" ditch to jump on foot, or "Hard" ditch to jump on
> a horse, or "Moderate" shot to take with a pistol, etc. Anyway, it's
> probably just me. I like HQ's nifty sounding abilities, but I think
> the non-simulationist aspect is making it tough for me to use.

No, it's certainly not just you, because I have the same problem. The intent of the rules is that you work out how hard you want it to be to leap, and then describe the ditch accordingly (ideally with as few numbers as you can get away with). For many people that will work, and even I find it perfectly reasonable a lot of the time. But there are times when I find that I want a more simulationist approach, and HQ2 just doesn't have the tools to enable the GM to do that. Your ditch example is actually quite a good one, because it's not about the distance of the ditch per se, but about how much easier a task its going to be leap it on a horse than on foot, which, in HQ2 will basically just come down to a judgement call by the GM (and, while I'd probably be happy with that, you might not be). That's not a fault with the system, because you're trying to force it to do something it's not designed for. But one does have to be aware of it.

I'd suggest trying things the HQ2 way - "I want this to be Nearly Impossible, so I'll describe it as X" - for a while, and, if that really doesn't work for you, it may just be that HQ2 isn't the system for what you want. No system is perfect for everyone, after all.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/