Re: Re: Narrative characteristics

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:18:14 -0400

  connruadan wrote:

> I was mainly aiming at providing players with what you depict as "a
> reasonable set of interesting abilities". I wanted to make it
> compulsory to have at least a body and a mind ability (whether
> broad/keyword or not).

*nod* I can see that, although there is a lot to be said for defining things broadly. i.e. - If someone picks "Warrior" there is a lot you can assume about having some decent physical ability.

> My question came from my experience with new players : HQ2 offers "too
> much" freedom to create your character. You can then easily miss
> something important and end up with a not reasonable set of still
> interesting abilities (having built a too focused character for instance).

I think this is a possibility, but that encouraging a certain amount of "keyword thought" helps avoid it. If you have people take a couple of abilities that are broad descriptors of many related aspects, then you cover a lot of ground. Culture keywords give many social applications, and professions cover many physical and skills.

> The as-you-go method will surely prevent most of these problems.
> For the list and narrative methods, I guess I have to remind players
> that their character is a whole : body, mind, relationships, magic,
> religion, etc. It may help not forgetting something important.

LC