Re: Re: Narrative characteristics

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 17:54:50 -0400

David Dunham wrote:

> Normally there's no mechanical impact of categorizing (and in any
> long-running game I'll just alphabetize so I can find stuff). You'll
> note that the ex-counterinsurgent has an entirely different scheme.
> Furthermore, it's really hard to assign a broad ability into one
> category. Is Warrior "Mind" (oriental-style training) or "Matter" (Sun
> Country shield push)?

You pick one. If it is important to the feel of your game, there is clearly no reason NOT to do it. As you say, there is no mechanical reason to do it unless as a default, and broad stats are likely to overlap many.
So if it is the kind of thing that matters, include it. If it doesn't, then don't.

> Better would to to decide on the spot. If there is really a bonus,
> then apply it depending on how the player describes things. "I circle
> cautiously, hoping my opponent reveals a flaw in his style" is
> different from "I dart in, raining blows left and right with lightning
> speed."

I am a huge fan of applying bonuses by description. I mean, it is the only way to introduce tactics into the otherwise crushingly flat Extended Contests. (I'm still trying to figure out a way to do this in a more standardized way, but haven't had much chance to work on the project.) So absolutely, you can just do it by bonuses from description. But as always, the genre and feel of the game will help dictate how you want to do that.

LC