Re: Heroquest without dice

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 21:44:50 -0700

On 2 Aug 2010, at 16:46, parental_unit_2 wrote:

> I went to a Heroquest game yesterday where the GM didn't use dice. Among other things, he liked the idea of being able to play anywhere -- a pub, hotel, etc. -- without carrying dice around, as most such places have cards for their guests. He also liked the idea of being able to play without displaying dice and effectively putting a "we are geeks" sign on the table.

And simultaneously trying to tweak the odds -- he wanted a greater chance of a complete victory in a simple contest, so face cards generated criticals and fumbles.

> A few weeks before, I saw another dice-free solution: An Apple iPad application that combines e-books with a die rolling utility. http://a-sharp.com/dicebook

While DiceBook (or apps that only roll dice) solves the problem of physical dice, I wouldn't really call it a diceless solution. The dice are just electronic.

(An iPad at the game table is probably less geeky than a laptop -- laptops create physical barriers between people, while iPads or other flat things that lie on the table don't. This is one of the reasons I've always tried to keep my laptop in the corner of the table and not right in front of me.)

David Dunham
Glorantha/HQ/RQ page: www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein