Re: Inversed Hero Points

From: Tim <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 12:33:21 -0000

This might be seen as a "feature" rather than a "bug" - it means all players have the same ability to affect the game with HP rather than having some players with a big stash of points making it difficult to put them in a position where they ever feel "at risk". Of course, you'd need to bear this in mind when designing those "otherside" trips and not assume the PC's will have a near limitless amount of HP to burn

> Also I remember reading that some folks prefer to spend HPs as bumps at
> critical times instead of maxing out skills. I've never played that
> way, but it is a choice. And that choice is less viable with your system.

Timing becomes more important - do you spend your HP on a contest early in the session to guarantee getting the improvement, or hold on in case you need it to avoid a calamity later in the game..

> Also, I'm not sure how to gain new skills and advance old ones that are
> not actively used in a session.

I guess if the ability is not being actively used, and you can't bring it in, then (in this system) you don't get to improve it - You may need to allow a Player to describe training in a skill and spending the HP even if you wouldn't (normally) require a roll. As for new skills - they start at "no rating(6)", and then you spend a HP as normal.