Re: Re: new guy

From: ryancaveney_at_...
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:26:14 -0800 (PST)

A separate Size trait is a good idea, because it can be used differently in different places. For example, while a unit's Size should provide a bonus to Combat, it should also provide (possibly different) bonuses to Morale and Besiege, a penalty to Stealth, a resistance to finding supplies (e.g. in a modern war, I'd pit its size against the upper headquarters' Logistics ability to provide food and ammo; in an ancient one, I'd use its size as a penalty to local farmers to have enough food for the rest of the year), difficulty of being recruited (feudal kings roll their persuasiveness vs. their vassals' loyalty), and all sorts of other things that Size influences differently than just combat power. Also consider the opportunity to do clever things like choose to defend the pass at Thermopylae, so as to deny your opponent the combat bonus he would otherwise have obtained from his huge Size advantage over your mere 300 men.

For calculating exact values of Size, I strongly recommend some sort of logarithmic progression, like "+10 = x5". For example, if you decide the unit of 20 soldiers has Size 10 and the unit of 100 soldiers has Size 20, then Size 30 [10w10] should mean about 500 soldiers, not 180. This slower than linear growth is very important for being able to represent these small units on the same numerical scale as entire divisions (in this example, 12,500 soldiers = Size 50 [10w2], and 1.5 million is Size 80 [20w3]). The current edition of HeroQuest has no such tables, which means if you want them, you have to make them up yourself, which I personally find makes it harder to use, not easier. That's why I prefer the "zeroth" edition (Hero Wars), which actually had such tables to assist you in calculating how difficulties could vary reasonably with range and number of targets affected. Exactly which logarithmic curve you pick is a matter of taste (I'm partial to +5 = x2), but you really ought to pick some kind of one, so you can keep things somewhat manageable.

Ryan Caveney