Re: Introduction "not a bot!" message

From: Henk Langeveld <henk_at_...>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:14:49 +0200

> My name is Eric, and I'm new to HeroQuest, but not new to role-playing.

Welcome Eric!

> I started playing in 1979 when I was eight, being allowed to sit at a
> table with some college student friends of my mom's. I had just finished
> my first reading of Lord of the Rings, and dropping into a Wilderlands
> campaign that had been underway for years was a fertile landscape for my
> imagination. That experience has inspired and informed my gaming since,
> as intermittent as it has been.

I see some parallels - I encountered both LotR *and* AD&D around that time - ten years older, though :-)

> I played basic and 1E D&D (with 3rd-party "Warlock" supplement), Star
> Frontiers, Heroes Unlimited, Champions, GURPS, 3.x D&D, Iron Heroes, and
> most recently 4E D&D.
>
> I like to place my campaigns in the Wilderlands (since Iron Heroes era
> and forward), and I have so many adventure ideas, but 4E has felt a poor
> match for the "larger scope" of the style of world I want to foster. The
> pacing necessary to even scratch the surface of the adventures doesn't
> correlate to the time in takes to get through tactical combats (as
> interesting/fun as they are at times).

This is one of the areas where HeroQuest can make a difference.

> My intention is to finish reading the HQ2 book that I have, read through
> the archives on this list, and formulate the scope of the next campaign
> arc that I run.

Have a look at the HeroQuest-RPG list as well for examples of how you can apply the HQ rules in gameplay. If you're interested in Glorantha, also look at the WorldofGlorantha list.

> Also: currently reading Game of Thrones (now on Clash of Kings). Not
> sure how relevant this is, but if I were to be honest, I might be
> yoinking themes/structures from that.

You could do worse for inspiration. :-)

> Anyway, thanks for the work of those that have come before me. Hopefully
> somebody will benefit from my work down the line...
>
> -Eric

Regards,
Henk Langeveld