RE: Introduction "not a bot!" message

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 13:00:03 +0100

Hi Eric!

Welcome to the HeroQuest list(s)!

I started off with roleplaying in a very similar way! I'd read LotR, back in the day, and accompanied my brother to a 1st Ed D&D game, which I joined (naming my first character Olorin J) but in the end I found the game system very arbitrary. I discovered Glorantha and RuneQuest whilst at uni and was really grateful later on to discover HeroWars and then HeroQuest; I now play and run HQ2, mainly in Glorantha but have recently run a re-telling of The Hobbit with some different characters.

I think that HQ2 will allow you to do anything you want to do in Tolkienesque stories. I would offer one caution though - it's easy to think you should treat HQ as you would any other system (e.g. D&D or RuneQuest) but I recommend you don't. Take advantage of the freedom to use a game system to tell a story, instead of just using it to do skill rolls. There are many people on the lists Henk mentioned who will be pleased to answer questions, you may even meet Robin Laws, Jeff Richard or Greg Stafford!

I'm around if you want to ask anything but I'm away in Germany until June 20th, for the Eternal Con that's held in Bacharach - a convention of roleplayers set at a castle in beautiful Rhineland scenery!

Cheers

Matthew