Re: Re: Starships and Lifepods

From: Bo <lorgryt_at_...>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 06:10:04 -0800

On 12/5/2011 6:00 PM, lindharin_at_... wrote:
> Finally, regarding the "Blaster Pistol" vs "Blaster Rifle" vs "Hold
> Out Blaster", isn't that just a case of Specific Ability Bonuses? The
> distinction doesn't apply in most cases; any of them are fine as a
> weapon to shoot your average target so they all just roll normally.
> But if the challenge is framed in such a way that the distinction is
> important, the one with the most relevant specific description could
> get a +3 or +6 bonus. If the challenge is to shoot their way through
> an armored blast door, the guy with Blaster Rifle should get a +3 or
> +6. If the challenge is a security guard searching them for weapons,
> the guy with his "Hold Out Blaster" gets a +3 or +6 to hide it, the
> guy with a normal Blaster has no modifier, and maybe the guy with a
> Blaster Rifle fails the credibility test and auto-fails. That was my
> impression from reading the rules, anyway.

Right, I get that. But where I have a problem is physics. Reality is a b*tch. The energy of a .22 Long Rifle and 7.62mm NATO round are very different at 100 feet. But, the weapon firing them is identical (both are M14s in different calibers). The .22 will not kill the cow, the 7.62 will. There is a difference.

One way of showing it is to give gear and another is a "credibility" test. I have no issue with the latter, but what happens when you are dealing with items in which no one at the table has a clear idea of how things compare?

All of this is a stupid question and I know it. It is a hold over of simulation based gaming. But it is the point where my head goes "wait!'

Once I play the system I am sure it will all melt away. LOL

Bo