Re: Customized Gear

From: Aaron Stockser <nwn2.wow_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 08:45:34 -0800

I think you are potentially heading down a dark path...

What you suggested requires a kinda weird implementation of the Keyword rules because the "normal" format would be:

Customized BlasTech DL-44 2W1
-Long Range Modification +2

to show that *any* use of the ability is at 2W1 but the more specific rating of 2W3 would come into play in a long range combat.

This is also why "Equipment as Ability" can be a pain in the ass. A scope greatly increases accuracy... when shooting from a braced position at a relatively stationary target. It can actually be a hindrance when trying to track a high-speed evading target, and a liability in a "Quick Draw" contest. It can increase an Ability Rating if trying to sell it for funds, and has no effect (or a negative modifier) if the Blaster gets damaged and needs to be repaired. How fiddly do you want to get?

Don't forget that [Customized BlasTech DL-44 2W1] isn't really in any way equivalent to a [Blasters] skill at 2W1 in a traditional RPG. That ability can be used for intimidation, to show off, combat, traded for resources, repairs - *any* Contest where the Player and Narrator agree it's appropriate.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is Resistance in a Contest isn't set or modified by "traditional" RPG combat modifiers but by what the Contest means to the story, and the "appropriateness" of an Ability to resolve a Contest is very different in HQ2 - I mean if I'm writing up a narrative description of Leia I don't think "Blaster" is going to be anywhere in it, but her "If you want something done right, do it yourself" Ability (or whatever you want to call it) sure does turn her into an amazing shot when she needs it.