Re: [HeroQuest-Rules] Augments and arithmetic are irritating...

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:06:09 -0400

On 16 Oct 2012, at 02:52, Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...> wrote:

> Even with a single augment there's a lot of "Is that narratively interesting?" flying around the table. In HQ1 it was actually easier to narrate multiple augments without breaking and,

Interesting, I am pretty sure that once as GM I mentioned that an augment was repetitive but honestly I can't remember the specifics. This just never came up with our HQ2 games.

And if your group is always amused by the Goon Show, then the rules explicitly allow that to be used all the time.

> And the point still stands that failing an augment is singularly uninteresting. What happens on a failed roll? Where's the tension? What's the player risking by trying to roll the augment? Very little - generally less than a 1/400 chance of getting -6.

I agree with you, which is why I made sure there was a non-roll alternative. This didn't seem quite as one-sided as the varying abilities issue -- some of our players seemed to like rolling.

> - Most lingering benefits that are contest specific aren't going to have a lot of life outside the contest

Then they aren't really lingering, are they? (But that's just a terminology quibble.)

David Dunham