Re: Re: Patrons

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 13:57:49 +0100

Wulf Corbett wrote:
> I'd give [PATRONS] the two most important abilities (particularly
> Wealth...) with which they assist or support you.

And their rating for those abilities would be? Patrons are missing from the table giving the ability ratings for supporting characters. It says somewhere that a PATRON is more powerful than the character: the opposite of a FOLLOWER.

If the ratings are like FOLLOWER ratings, then PATRONS are like puny followers or strong DEPENDANTS (from rules PoV). If they are about the same as the character's, they are really a kind of ALLY (see below). If they are better, why have an ALLY when you can have a PATRON?
> You CAN call upon a Patron, but not in the same way as an Ally. A
> patron will fund missions, bale you out of trouble, aquire useful
> items, secure jobs for you, speak on your behalf, etc. Of course, he
> wants something from you in return...

Yes, this is as I see it, but then PATRONS and ALLIES seem to be a distinction without a difference.