Re: New players

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 09:59:18 -0700

Benedict

> I originally tried to use the narrative method of character
> generation. After some fumbling around, we decided to switch to the
> list method. Does anyone else have experience of which is best to
> begin with?

Clearly it depends on the group -- I found the narrative method daunting ("What! I have to know 100 words of detail about my character before I even start playing?!") but in practice it was fun and much easier than I'd feared. I think most of our group had the same experience.

I know other groups who just couldn't get into it.

Still, I'd recommend the 100 word approach (unless you think your group won't take to it), because it's a unique and cool feature of Hero Wars. You can always use the partial method (I used the list + partial method with a 12 year old since it seemed simpler), so that people have to create only enough character to get started.

Wulf added

> they are pretty pleased by how many extra abilities I have spotted
> in their narratives!

I strongly encourage Narrators to be very generous in finding abilities from the 100 words. It's not like it's going to unbalance the game -- they still have to put hero points into them. And the extra flexibility is frequently amusing (as well as the fact that it rewards interesting narratives).

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein