Re: Re: Clarifying Theistic Magic

From: philip.hibbs_at_...
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 18:35:30 +0100

Robert McArthur:
>But until that happens, someone with 1w3 hail is going
>to be arguing to do what I consider to be 9w3 hail.

I think you are seeing a problem that isn't there (that isn't a criticism of you, this *is* one of the biggest problems with Hero Wars). The difference in degree is purely dependent on what the contest says the result is - what the player says they are trying to do does not affect what they *can* do. I could have "Hail 12" and say "I call down hailstones the size of cow's heads", roll an 11, have no effect (opponent resists) and all I've done is made a fool of myself. It's evident from the result that I *didn't* call down anything very impressive. If I'd staked 30APs and rolled a 1,then I evidently *did* call down some pretty impressive hailstones! Maybe not as big as cow's heads, but I'm sure the tale would grow in the bard's telling.

Part of the equation of "what you can do" depends on what risks you are prepared to take. If you've managed to muster up 100APs, then even if you only have a low skill, you can cause some pretty stupendous effects if the dice are with you.

Thinking about it, "levels of effect" could be expressed in terms of numbers of APs staked, rather than level of ability being used. Roughly 30APs = enough to completely defeat an ordinary man.

Philip Hibbs http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/ Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated.