Re: Clarifying Theistic Magic

From: JEFFREY KYER <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:57:37 -0000

> <RANT>

Sigh. Ranting is not a good way to get assistance, btw.

> of putting numbers on things - 9w3 etc. So showing the difference
> between 9w3 hail and 9w1 hail and 1w3 hail and 20w2 hail would be
> incredibly useful to me. I don't care if they come from 6 different
> campaigns! But until that happens, someone with 1w3 hail is going
> to be arguing to do what I consider to be 9w3 hail. I'm the
narrator,

If you'd played the game, you'd know the difference. Its much easier to just get started than to sit back. I admit that I much prefer to answer questions that have arisen from incidents in play.

But your answer is contained in your statement. Teh difference is in the Mastery Levels.

With a 9w3, I can expect against casual magic to get a critical success each time (A fumble goes to a critical) As long as the resistance is LESS than 1w.

But if you try to do more extensive magic -- its what you are trying to do that generates the effect, be it gouts of steaming borsht (to hurt an army of folks) or hailstones the size of walrus (to bash in Nick's mythical stead).

In both cases, the resistance is increased considerably. In the case of an band of raiders (30 folks is a +30 resistance) or a stead could be a +30). This raises a typical resistance (14) to a 4w2 level.

If your hypothetical person with a 9w tries this deed, he is going to be in trouble. The TARGET has a mastery advantage and will bump up any results IT makes. Which makes things very ugly for Joe Wanna be.

Its all there in the Advanced magic chapter. The best way to learn how to do it is go and play the game. Almost all of your problems are
solved with a very mild bit of play.

> it a) a very interesting but hard change to make from RQ and other
> systems, and b) possibly (!) unplayable at the moment without
> someone experienced in the system.

You may be in the minority on this. But a word of advice: Don't try to
think of it as runequest. It isn't. Its a different game set in the same world. You'll save yourself a lot of trouble and nuisance.

We started the game without any preparation. It took us 2 sessions to
work out the bugs but it worked out very well. Greg sent us a copy of
the playtest rules as a 'blind taste test' of the rules.

> So far: very interesting, different, but not very playable. Please
> note this is from initial impressions (about three reads of the

Before you say the game is unplayable, I humbly suggest you do the following: Play it.

That's the best advice I can give you. Sit down with a friend or two,
work out characters and then just run something simple. That is what we did. Or contact someone in your area for a playtest. There's a few folks on the list who do a fair bit of that. Ohhhh Phillllip? =)

Jeff