Re: Javelin throwing; affinities/feats

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 12:18:54 -0000

You're
> right, once you are past 1w1, chance of failure on simple contests
or
> against default resistance can be ignored, but I don't see any
reason to
> hike the penalties in order to make a few more low-level-journeymen
have
> difficulties with improvised feats.

Well, that 'hike' (2 points is a pretty small hike...) is one way to reduce Mastery inflation, if Initiates have a -5 on all their magic, at least you have a lower standard of useful magic among the common folk...

>Against similar level resistance,
> however, -3 is as bad as it ever was. You might as well say that the
> difficulty should be -10, because once you are beyond 5w1, -5 is
> insignificant.

Apparently Greg said -10... however, I still say -5, because of the 'standard' numbers:-
a) Standard starter character magic is 17 - with a -5 it drops to 12, the standard new skill rating
b) Standard starter character maximum skill is 5W1 - with a -5 that drops to 20
Both reduce starter characters Improvised feats to more like an inexperienced level (assuming they don't start as Devotees, of course!), suitable for beginners.
Wulf