Re: Zorak Zoran Draft Write-up

From: Sarah Newton <sarah.newton_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 10:55:21 -0000

Thanks Peter!

I particularly like the colourful affinity names - as I said, my plain vanilla ones are just to fill in the broader picture.

> Personally I believe that such theistic cults are
> found in most "civilized" troll lands, including Dagori Inkarth.
> Wild trolls would generally be animists but those that live
> in cities and complexes would be theistic.

Agreed - hence Zong, etc.

> I don't think wrest salamander should be a mental skill. It is
> a magical feat of Zorak Zoran.

I had trouble with this one... Could it be a stand alone "feat" of ZZ, without any obvious "parent" affinity?

> Lead Death's Legions (Induct Corpse, Induct Spirit, Summon Shade,
> Command Death's Legionnaire, Rally Troops)
> Hate (Beserk, Howl of Fear, Maul Elf, Vanquish Dwarf, Smite Chaos)
> Vengeance (Crush, Open Wounds, Bludgeon Soul, Mark for Retribution,
> Remember Ancient Wrongs)

Like I say - I like these! However, don't you think there should be some Darkness / Disorder connections in the Runic Affinities somewhere? Smacks of RQ-ism, I know, but it just feels right. The three affinities you show don't clearly differentiate as far as I can see - aren't they Death-with-Darkness, Death-with-Hate, and Death- -Vengeance? Praps I'm misunderstanding HW, but I've been assuming Gods (etc) have Affinities in each of their discrete Runes (whether they have GL names or not). Any thoughts?

> The real secret behind Zorak Zoran is that he knows how to use
> Death/Fire. Thus I would expect his secret to be something like
> a fire affinity. You might call it Amanstan's Fire or something
> like that.

Happy with this - praps it's the Affinity Zorak Zorani get their "basic" Wrest Salamander From Amanstan Feat from?

Anyway, many thanks for your input, Peter! Look forward to your comments!

Regards,

Sarah