Re: Animist Question

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 00:02:07 -0400

At 10:17 AM 10/12/2000 +1300, Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>At 22:03 11/10/00 +0100, Wulf Corbett wrote:
>>My take on this (as you may have noticed I've been doing Animistic
>>things until my eyes no longer focus...) is that most spirits MUST
>>have a physical 'body' to exist in the middle world. Usually this is a
>>fetish for a summoned spirit.
>
>So where do ghosts and disease spirits get their physical bodies
>from?

Disease spirits do inhabit something, for instance a puddle of scummy water, a rock, a plant, a patch of ground, rotting meat, etc. (This explanation is endorsed by Greg.)

Not all "ghosts", which are the incorporeal remnants of living beings, are spirits. Some, such as the ones who were once theists, are daimones. I'm not sure what the spirit ones inhabit. Nor am I clear on what darkness spirits or fear spirits inhabit (though I can live with the "it inhabits a patch of shadow" explanation for darkness spirits). AR, p. 212, offers an explanation that I can live with for fear, darkness, dead person, etc. spirits: They inhabit a place, a physical location. This being the case, these spirits shouldn't have alien world modifiers.

Thanks,
Andy