mythical landscape and critters.

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:04:04 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, David Dunham wrote:

> Mikko wrote
>
> > Howcome we are seeing pit vipers in Dragon Pass these days anyway. Isn't
> > it supposed to be celtic/scandinavian landscape. What's with the
> > americanisms?
>
> No, it's supposed to be Glorantha. Last I was aware, there were no
> dinosaurs in northern Europe, for example.
>
> (They must be warm-blooded dinosaurs, given the bitterly cold winters
> in Dragon Pass :-)

Ah yes, but the mythical landscape of DP is pretty much the one found in european mythology. My (rather scandinavian) Sartarites would regard a rattlesnake as something obviously chaotic and strange.

It just seems wrong having New World critters in DP. Prax, I grudginly admit obviously has american influenses (though I could just call the bison vicents and be done with it). I still like to think of the Praxian nomads as early arabs, not native americans.

The native americans of my game are the grazers... or rather, they are the closest. Pentan's are obviously the mongols of Glorantha.

        -Adept : too much work and too little sleep