Subject: Re: Re: Random musing

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:10:25 +0000

> From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
>But Humakt has specific powers against the undead, that are additional to
>his 'basic' death abilities. I'd still use the default 14 resistance to
>magic, but that's because I want to make things a little more difficult
>for the players. Part of the problem is the rule books give just about
>everyone a defensive skill of 12 or so with melee weapons. (Even Chalana
>Arroy devotees get 'Spear and Shield' at 13 in the rule book. Heaven help
>them if they actually use it though...) Whereas, most NPCs will have few
>if any abilities to defend against magic.

That is probably just weak NPC design. Any initiate will get magic resistance at least at their "initiate to" level (I suppose you might assign penalties on top). Other NPCs and creatures may be trickier, but you could just include magic resistance if you feel they shouldn't be pushovers (better than the default option because you have to make decision about the appropriate level).

Thom

(I'm not advocating detailing NPC in pathological detail, but a few keywords can get you a long way).