Re: Re: feats'n'stuff

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:26:56 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Markus Battarbee wrote:

> Graham Robinson wrote:
> >> Further evidence: Why does Vangath have the
> >> "avoid lightning" feat, if the same effect could
> >> be acheived with the "aerial maneuvering" feat?
> > Because "avoid lightning" can be used at full chance to dodge lightning, but
> > "aerial maneuvering" would take an improv penalty, IMO. "Avoid" could even
> > be interpreted as a simple ability test.

Actually this was someone else.

> Exactly - people should use feats for what they are meant for.
> Rules-wise, assigning an improvisational modifier to a feat gives the
> same effect as assigning it to an affinity, so this is really just a
> matter of which word to use. I wouldn't give a devotee who knows AM but
> doesn't know AL any less modifiers than an initiate in attempting to avoid
> lightning.

This is true. Avoid Lightening is a specific feat that anyone with the affinity should be able to use, if only with an improv. modifier. However, if there isn't a feat that quite covers it, and the GM doesn't want to introduce a new one - for a variety of reasons - then using an existing one with an improv. modifier seems reasonable.

However, in general I'd just up the resistance of the world a little and make it a simple contest. I like simple contests.

> >> Of course, Orlanth Adventurous devotees could use the "Lift Objects
> >> with Wind" -feat to acheive everything Vangath devotees can,
> > Lifting ain't flying. Also, the referee should apply the rules as strictly
> > as she can in these circumstances.
>
> Agh, I suppose my irony wasn't too clear in written form. See above.
>

> > >Well, if you're using improvisation modifiers, why tie it to
> > >a feat? Why not simply use the Wind Affinity?
> > Because you don't use raw affinities to get an effect. You need to
> > use a feat (even it's improvised).
>
> I simply disagree here. HW p183: "Initiates may not learn feats
> or the secret of their god." How should initiates use magic then?

They may not learn feats, but they must improvise feats to use their affinities.

Perhaps it might help to look at feats and affinities slightly differently. Basically, I look at all magic performed by theists as being the result of their prayers being answered. They call on the power of their god, who responds by enabling them to perform actions normally beyond them. The affinities and feats are there to describe the areas in which the god can (or will) respond. The myths behind the feats act as guides to the areas in which they can be used, but this is not heroquesting, you do not have to become your god to perform his feats.

The target number of an affinity (and the feats known by a devotee) to me represent the person's depth of knowledge of the god's mysteries. Devotees have more knowledge, access to deeper secrets, and thus can learn specific feats.

In other words, feats and affinities are just a game mechanic. What they represent in Glorantha is far more complex and varied.

Cheers,
Graham

--
Graham Robinson			The Stable Yard - Internet Solutions
gjr_at_...		http://www.thestableyard.net