Re: thunderstones and woad questions.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:02:23 +1300

Bryan Thexton:

>According to the rules, to permanently enchant something first you
>defeat it with an appropriate enchant ability, then you defeat it
>with what you want to enchant into it, then you spend a hero point to
>lock it in. Then the item gains an ability at 12.

About the last statement, the rules actually state that:

         Any enchanted item may be used on its own as a skill with its
         own target number (usually starting at 12), or may be used
         to enhance the user's own skills as a magical enhancement.

Thus it could be an augmentation, an edge or so forth onto the basic damage from the hurled thunderstone. IMO an ability by itself would be used if the thunderstone inflicted an electrical shock when it hit someone.

>1) I thought they were either one use items or something that you
>temporarily imbued into a stone....are they actually permanently
>enchanted rocks that you will want to gather up and re-use?

They were one-use in RQIII, they are permanent in HW. Note the requirement for a heropoint to be used to cement the benefit. If he does not do this, then it vanishes at the end of the episode (perhaps its magic was used up?).

>2) This would suggest you could stick a wide variety of magic into
>thunderstones (assuming you have appropriate affinities).

I would restrict it to magic abilities that are only appropriate to thunderstones, i.e. no acid attacks.

>I always thought
>they were specifically stones that went flash/boom on impact.

Thunderstones are described in the paragraph of hedkorath as being "enchanted pieces of rock that can shock an opponent with their energy". In RQIII, they could also do magic point damage.

>3) If you were trying to make the flash/boom type of thunderstone,
>what feat exactly would you use to perform the second step of the
>enchantment?

You don't need another feat. You just use enchant thunderstone to create the thunderstone while noting the power you want.

--Peter Metcalfe