my take on the magical vs. mundane

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 21:56:12 +0200 (EET)

On the magical vs. mundane debate:

I think my take is to put a cap on mundane skills.

A human doesn't run as fast as a horse. A human's mundane run fast can't exceed 20

A mundane human can't be stronger than a bear of an elephant. He can't leap over trees.

Id determine what are the limits of mundane skills.

When a character reaches this limit, he will have to find other means to become better at it.

A wingan can have the feat "Run like the wind" at 10w1, at which point she would have a good chanse of outrunning a horse (2w1 the poor dears).

Id use the feat skill directly in the contest

10w1 vs. the horses run fast 2w1. In effect, the feat is the wingans magical running skill. If said wingan also has mundane "run fast 20", she could augment her feat with her natural aptitude for runnin.

  ---

The above obviously works better if one let's the characters specialize in spesific feats, and doesn't tie every feat into the affinity. I like having raising the affinity skill cost 3HP, but getting a +1 for a spesific feat cost just 1HP.

So the wingan could have

movement affinity 17 (with learned, but undeveloped feats at 17)   "Run Like the Wind" +13 (10w1)

        -Mikko, the Adept