Re: Mundane vrs Magical, the official Issaries quick reply

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:21:11 -0800

> At the end of the day, the world record for the high jump is currently
> 2.45 metres. And that's off one foot. Acrobats using two feet regularly
> manage three to four metres. Add in poles, spring boards, whatever and
> greater heights are possible. (World record for the pole vault is 6.14
> metres.) These are being done in a non-magical world by non-heroes.

What level of ability would you give an Olympic-class athelete or World-class acrobat? They don't have a mere 17 in "leap". I'd allow a normal human in the real world to probably get up to w3 in a mundane skill.

I'd disqualify poles & springboards from the discussion simply because they give a bonus or augment to the ability, thus complicating the issue - so we're talking standing or running start only, no extra help.

> There are people in THIS world who would have little or no trouble leaping
> over many trees, using mundane abilities. Why do Gloranthans suddenly have
> so much trouble?

There are not many people in this world that have "little or no trouble" leaping over a 10' height. Those than can have trained to do so for a long time. There are millions of people in this world that have trouble doing so.

RR