Re: Re: Iron

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:43:14 +0000

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 13:18:33 -0000, " JEFFREY KYER" <jeff.kyer_at_...> wrote:

>> why not use the Edge rating of carried iron? Edge x 10 if
>necessary?
>
>Becaause we didn't think of it. =)
>
>And the effect of a spear head on a stick is a lot less than wearing
>gauntlets. Perhaps a flat +5 for weapons and 5x the rating of the
>armour would work.

I'm of the opinion that unenchanted Iron weapons shouldn't be much help in defence against magic. Armour yes, as it 'encloses' the wearer. And giving a defence bonus from iron weapons is prone to oddities & abuse - "OK, none of their magic worked because of my Iron Greatsword. But now I need healing, hold on while I put it down". And personally I don't want extra rules about residual magic dampening from handling Iron recently. I would therefore say physical contact with unenchanted Iron reduces the chance of CASTING magic, but protects only from magic being directed at or through the Iron (so a Dullblade effect would be resisted by the sword, but not by any armour, while attacks against the armour wearer would be resisted by the armour). As to the AMMOUNT of resistance, well, the +5 for weapons (although the difference is weight of iron between a few arrowheads and a Greatsword makes me less certain), 5x Rank of armour sounds OK for protecting/hindering the wearer, but to directly affect the Iron (like that Dullblade) should be worse. Not the standard Iron +40 though, since you don't get +10 to affect Bronze, but maybe double the above?

Wulf