Re: AP Limits?

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:59:57 -0000

I'm replying to this reply rather than the original to adress a few extra points...

> At 07:40 AM 12/05/2000 +0000, Nick Eden wrote:
> >Is there, or should there be, a limit to the number of APs that
can be
> >staked in a single exchange?

The only limit is starting AP (and your hero can use that number even after being reduced!).

> >I've been having trouble recently with one of my players, who is
> >playing a shaman and has worked out how to demolish enemies:

> >and Hero Point. Generally this is enough to result in another 80
APs
> >being transferred from the victim, after which he can pretty much
do
> >whatever he likes. Nothing can stand up to an opponent able to
> >repeatedly stake 30APs.

Like everyone else says, he can't gain more AP than his target had. But this is what I do with my Spirit Talker too, bid high & flash-fry them (using Firshalla's Soulfire), then bask in the power of their fear (my excessively high AP). I think that my Narrator understands that I only do a couple of these, then switch to stuff like Intimidate (I get a hefty edge on Intimidate after a couple of flashfryings...).  There is always the risk of losing though, and the Fetch's AP should only count for relevant contests - I would, however, allow Spirit or magic related contests to count. Always remember, a Shaman/Spirit Talker might start with excessively high AP, but they do not have very high magic skills, and will not get them easily (only integrated spirits seem to be improvable), so the target number will be low. An opponent with a Mastery or two in defence will sort out most starter Shamans (which I'd class a 7W Shaman).

> Second, I don't think that I would let the fetch add AP to the
shaman
> unless the fetch is able to affect the mundane world (HW:RiG p.
208).

While I would agree with this, I also think most Fetches CAN interact to some degree - they would tend to be things like Fire Spirits, Earth Spirits (I use an Earth Spirit for my Serdrodosan, for want of better suggestion), etc.

> Five, if the shaman always has HP to burn on these tactics, are you
maybe
> giving out too many HP at the end of the session?

Particularly relevant if the Shaman ALSO has HP for improvement. If not, just keep improving the opposition defences against magic, as above...

> >An idea would be that the stake is limited by the base skill or
might
> >involved in the primary action - so the Lightning Spirit, might 18
> >means that he can only stake 18 APs, which an opponent might be
able
> >to survive loosing.

This doesn't fit with the general system, AP represent effort, not skill. However, you COULD say it applied to using Spirits in Fetishes...

Wulf