flying high

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:31:16 +0100

Greg:

>Pester to switch?
>Please remember that the rules state that the list of given Feats are
>sample, and that players and narrators ought to work out hat Feats they
>find best suitable for their campaign.

I know that, and you know that. Now tell all the lazy narrators out there. ;-)
Seriously though, going with something other than the default is always a non-trivial task.
People need convincing, and that's all I'm trying to do here...

Jeff:

>Vangath's initiates will just have a Flight Affinity (and the other
>two). Only DEVOTEES get Feats.

Yeah, I know. Slip of the keyboard. I also shouldn't have said that _affinities_ are redundant when what I'm actually talking about is particular _feats_.

>All those things I am doing while flying I can enhance with moblity to
>fly faster or dodge opponents or whatever.

As stated by Wulf, not unless you bend the rules some.

>>How is jumping over rocks or running over mud or up cliffs
>>any
>> different from flying over or up said rocks, mud or cliffs?
>
>Because flying has a resistance number for some of these things.

And running doesn't? Or are you assuming that flying NOE is more difficult than at high altitudes? Why?

>When I see a flyer, I tend to try to pick them off first.

Sure, but a good flyer is better at dodging in the air than on the ground anyway, so it evens out.

>Movemnt
>can be used on other people with little problem.

Hadn't thought about that. You've got a point there.

>Sunset Leap and Leap over Tree are pretty much 'all or
>nouthing' feats that happen over the course of an action. Flying may
>take longer or have a higher resistance.

Sunset Leap I'll grant you. I'm inclined to get rid of that for other reasons, but YGMV. But I'm still not convinced that taking a short flight to reach the top of a cliff or skim across a pond, for example, takes more than an action, is a more difficult form of magic than any other, or leaves the magician more vulnerable.

So: the only convincing argument out of the bunch is the "use on others" one. However, that alone is actually useful enough to make me reconsider discarding these feats...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg