Re: flying high

From: Jonas Schiött <jonas.schiott_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 19:24:53 +0100

Jeff Kyer:

>Flying is also blatant and has bad side effects for failing the roll
>-- you fall and hit the ground.

I'm with Benedict here: an AP is an AP is an AP.

>And Flying NOE is MUCH more difficult -- if you think
>differently, then I think you should go and talk to anyone who's flown
>such as a pilot.

RW pilots don't lie on cushions of swirling air to fly... I would think an orlanthi flyer close to the ground is more like a GEV than an airplane.

>LOOK! There's a flyer!
>The Orlanthi must be getting ready to attack, sir.
>SOUND THE ALARM!
>
>So much for stealth.

The Movement affinity doesn't lend itself well to stealth either. It's all about speed or traversing difficult terrain.

>flying
>makes you the archery target-of-the-week.

OK, in certain tactical situations it's not a good idea. But you're not _always_ going up against archers - if the opposition only has throwing weapons, they're in big trouble. Besides, I think most archers will be unfamiliar with airborne targets. Range will certainly drop off markedly if they're firing upwards. And unless the archers have a screening force, the flyer's landlubber buddies will run up and whack 'em while they're distracted. Combined arms works wonders - you might not always want to use a flyer, but it's always good to have the option.

>Sorry, I find Run over Mud or Leap over Stream to have a nice, simple
>14 difficulty. At which point, they work. Flying may be easier, but
>I don't think so from a re-perusal of the magic rules.

Who said it was easier? I say it's the same 14. Unless there are adverse conditions - I'll grant that bad weather might be more of a damper on flying. Though running up a cliff or over mud in the rain should be worth a modifier too...

>Fight While Flying ability acts as a 'cap' for fighting
>skills the same way Riding does for those on horseback.

I don't think so. I think it's a "fighting technique" (table on HW pg.32), letting you use your other combat skills without penalty while flying.

>flying is riskier and generally requires a
>higher magical competence

Funny that you think so, considering:

>I'm going to continue to post and
>comment on the basis of the standard rules-set. If only for the ease
>of those who are using the rules as-is.

In the rules-as-is, your claims about the danger of flight are unsubstantiated. ;-)

I've been known to make claims about following the rules-as-they-stand myself, and I've noticed that it backfires more often than not.

BTW: this discussion has veered away from character generation to being a question of how to interpret certain magical effects. As such, it's still interesting. I'll put the original subject on ice until I actually have TR in my hands...

Jonas Schiött
Göteborg