Re: How do edges and handicaps work?

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 11:28:37 -0000

Charles Corrigan wrote:
> I am asking for answers at two levels.
>
> 1 - I want the official rules answer with minimal interpretation
> that I can put in my program.

OK after grappling with the search engine on this mailing list:

This includes an example of figuring AP losses frome edges that should clarify matters for you. The edge is applied before any multiplication.

> 2 - I want to know the "best" way to handle edges including rules
> variants and interpretation that I can run in my game (actually
> I have only run one senario over about 6 hours set in Benedict
> Adamson's Fir Bull/Sambari campaign).

In similar numbered posting there are discussions on different applications of the edges as a rule. My question poses one of the prevalent alternatives a t the time the question was posed. Wulf may be a key source of information on popular house rules, he was in most of the debates.

> For example, I have an edge of 3 and I bid 3 when acting. My
> opponent has an edge of 2 for a net edge of 1 in my favour. If I
> win the exchange, my opponent loses 4 AP (or 8 or 12 depending on
> the > multiplier). If I lose the exchange, I lose 2 APs (or 4 or
> 6). If there is a transfer, then I gain what my opponent loses
> with a maximum on my gain of their APs at the start of the round.

This looks in line with Roderick's posting, though please confirm for yourself. Remember ranks complicate the situation slightly, but because they often cancel out can be omitted if desired (so you need that as an option too).

In our game I've noticed Benedict seems to ignore ranks to speed up play. If we end up with a definitive collection of answers it might be a good idea to get Jeff to post it to the files section in case we need to answer this one on the list again. Lets liaise on what you have when I see you at the next game.

Ian