Re: On the subject of edges...

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:23:28 +0000

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:10:09 +0200, Markus Battarbee <battery_at_...> wrote:

>Since edges are already quite cheap compared to bonus-to-TN
>augmentation, I was considering multiplying the bid with the
>success multiplier first, and applyin the edge(s) on top of
>that. This'd emphasize skills, not equipment (bare-fisted
>fighting! Yea!) and would make TN-bonuses a slightly more
>viable option.

I certainly think it would work, it's just a matter of how important you think the edges are. Personally, I think equipment is under-represented as it is, so much so that it wouldn't matter if Ranks were applied before or after multiplication. But Augmented edges are another thing. On a recent HQ, my character somehow, with Augments, Carryover, etc. accrued a ^26 edge to her sword (carryover is a frightening thing). Typically she can get to a combined Rank and edge of ^10-12. Applying this after multiplication WOULD make a difference, if she went for TN Bonus she'd only get +3-4, and would lose on more Marginals (high rolls don't help much), but fewer Minors/majors (successful rolls do). Generally, I think applying edges after multiplication would slow down combat, as there would be fewer AP lost per exchange, but I don't think it would make a fundamental difference. It would indeed de-emphasise equipment, and for that reason alone I don't like it :)

Wulf