Re: Re: A Question about Abilties

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 10:55:42 -0800

> should put up the rating whether the player wants to or not. "Okay you've
> destroyed the Lunar camp - time to add another two points to your 'Hunted
> by Lunars' flaw..."

Note that these are suggestions on how to Narrate the game, not rules.

> Actually, I can think of a few players who would be trying to raise that
> as high as possible...

Then it's not a flaw! If they use "Hunted by Lunars" to get into rebel bases, Run away from Lunars, Impress girls, etc., you *need* to hit them with the Lunar's response ("We put a tracking device on him"...). Want to go to town? You see "wanted, Dead or Alive" posters on the town walls ("Hey, that's me! What's it say?"). Special squads are sent to track you down ("who *are* those guys?"), magical entities start looking for you (no, not daimones - you can handle those, how about Spirits or Essences instead?). Everytime they use their flaw to get something good, hit them with two or three "bad" things (not necessarily "a squad of Lunars shows up at your camp", but little niggling things - enough to show that they *aren't* free and clear of Imperial Notice). Use the Flaw ability rating before the game to see if anything bad related to the flaw occurs (if they have a mastery in the flaw, it will become a major part of the plot...). Make up a list of responses the Lunars can do, from putting up "Wanted" posters or increasing the reward, to reprisal raids on the hero's family, to sending a group like the Coders after them. Perhaps "Reprisal Raid" is a 5w response, while "Send in the Coders" is 15w3. Use their "Hunted" rating as the Lunars ability rating at "Spot Rebel Scum" when they go to town. Heck, if they like to Impress people with their Noteriety, make it backfire against them - when they try to sneak into town everyone points at them, or approaches them and offers to stand the house a round "in honor of our heroic defender here" (and, of course, a guy that looks like Peter lorre will scuttle off to the garrison commander to report that Joe LunarKiller, Bane of the Army, is in the Crashing Boar taproom...). When they want obscurity, they get a spotlight shone on them. Or rebel leaders turn them away because they are "too hot".

Players should not want to increase flaws, and it's the narrator's job to show them why. I think there have been several good articles (probably from Hero Games and/or GURPs, which use disadvantages a lot) about how to "use" flaws correctly - I just can't think of any off-hand, and my books are still in storage (The contractor claims March for completion of the house, I think mor like May or June, but then I'm probably a cynical old cuss)

RR