Re: Magic Skill Fumbles

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:03:50 -0000

> a) A PC prayed to his God, Varnaga an Oslir River Crocodile God, to
help
> him swim up a river, a big river for nearly a day to get help for
the
> party.
> He used his initiate of skill to gain divine aid and fumbled.
> I decreed that because he had been calling upon his God directly,
accepting
> magics from a Yelmalion and with Yelm being an enemy of Varnaga, his
God
> was displeased with him for this acceptance of enemy magic and he
lost all
> access to his gods magic till he redeems himself.
> Too harsh?

Possibly a bit harsh. Afterall, were these _complete_ defeats? Or just a mere 'I rolled a 20?' That will happen 1 in 20 times, afterall. If they were major or complete defeats (a rarer case, then that can be very, very nasty).

I'd have him attacked by a crocodile as he started to swim across, but I'm malicious. But fumbles DO happen. I presume that these were simple contests rather than extended ones?

> (He is in the process of clearing a rivers headwaters from broo
induced
> disease and infection)

Well, if he clears the riverhead without the help of his god, then he's probably doing very well and might come in for some sort of 'tested and found worthy' reward.

> b) The aformentioned Yelmalion fumbled whilst casting a lightwall
from his
> Light affinity.
> As he was underground at the time, I gave him a -10 on further Light
> affinity use until he bathed himself in Yelms glorious light and
gave
> appropriate sacrifices/prayers.

That would be sunlight? Hmm. You are being a bit harsh for penalties, perhaps.

What sort of bennies do you give on a complete _success_? Or just on an '1'?

> Are both these too harsh?

I'd look at the defeat level. Fumble = "I rolled a 1" and is a pretty common thing. Complete defeats are much more dire and rarer.

> What do other people do when Heroes fumble magic and magic related
skills,
> or what would other people do in these situations?
>
> Congratulations to all who were involved and Simon your woodcuttings
are
> 'just so...', or from my neck of the woods, tops!

(chuckle) Looking forward to seeing more of Simon's stuff.

Jeff