Re: Wyters and animists

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 19:57:10 -0500

At 10:18 PM 03/01/2001 +0000, mdawson_at_... wrote:
>I'm very curious what the paralells to wyters are among animists. Is it just
>an integrated spirit whose fetish is a huge area or a group of people? That
>seems pretty kludgy.
>
>Or to animists just use something that isn't like a wyter? Lots of friendly
>little spirits that come and talk to the shaman, rather than a single large
>spirit who looks after the whole clan and speaks through the chief?

HW p. 229 (Animist Villages) says that the shaman provides home defenses (similar to the wyter, which is discussed as a local god on pp. 228-229) by working with friendly spirits and by binding powerful spirits in the yearly communal rites. There are more details, but I don't want to quote the whole thing.

Thanks,
Andy