Re: Re: Forming a Wyter

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 08:15:25 -0800

Good discussion. I hope my guidance here won't end it.

Some material on this subject is in Sartar Rising. There I try to bring decisions to the focus below. It is, however, called "Making a hero band."

Your questions on this process are useful to me to know I've explained it enough.

At 09:54 AM 3/1/2001 -0000, you wrote:

>They can form a clan, no problem, but the clan founder and the wyter
>are two distinct entities.

They can become one. Many Founders are the Wyters. During their lifetime the wyter is a different entity which becomes a part of the subsequent cult (often the guardian inside the Otherworld Temple).

>>Is the daimon that becomes your Wyter almost totally arbitrarily chosen
>>in case no clear choice?

>Insofar as the narrator's decisions are almost totally arbitrarily, yes.
This is the most important and correct point that can be made about this process.

>But I would expect the narrator to chose a wyter that's colourful
>and interesting.

Yes yes yes.

>I am not convinced of this. KOS p245 talks of the tension
>between "Lokamaydism" and the "Foundation Ritual" and _could_ (but
>not necessarily _should_) be read as indicating that someone that
>performs the the Foundation Ritual is worshipped during their own
>lifetime. But the foundation of an entirely new clan is a rare
>enough event that this should not have too much effect until the late
>stages of a campaign where a character is already a Hero.
A ritual exists that helps to insure a person's immortality after death that basically makes them worshipped before they are dead, in a way both short circuiting the divine power system and also making subsequent divinity more likely. They do become, in essence, living and worshipped wyters.
All mortals wishing to obtain immortality as deities have to undergo some form of this process, which is formalized among the Heortlings. It is risky, not regularly done and requires huge commitment and support from people who enter into the bond. Most of these efforts fail subsequent to the leader's apotheosis when the cult is not able to deliver magic or other benefits that a re sufficient for the commitment. People quit, the process is ritually cancelled, paid for by the quitters, and the deity becomes one of the many faceless daimones populating the God World.

Most wyters never go through this kind of process. As stated, they come from among the good gods and goddesses.

One story possibility that has not been mentioned is to make a dead leader the wyter of a new band. This is suggested in Sartar Rising as a way to get rid of the Narrator Character who acts as patron for the beginning characters.

Greg Stafford
Issaries, Inc. 900 Murmansk St., Suite 5; Oakland, CA 94607 Phone: (510) 452 1648 Fax: (510) 302 0385 Publisher of Hero Wars, Roleplaying in Glorantha See our site at: <www.glorantha.com>