Re: Leaving the hero plane

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 16:40:33 -0000

My being snippy deleted. Sorry, about that. I'll take more meds.

> Actually, the rules do not mention allowing anyone to support (or
> hinder) a quest other than by providing community support. The
> construction of the community support table is such that, if an
> individual can provide support IN ANY WAY other than by providing
> community support, they should do so. Considering how many ways the
> clan could come up with, especially if the Narrator and players are
> imaginative, this is plain silly. In Gloranthan terms, surely the
> rules construct we call 'community support' is more than just
> standing around and watching; doesn't it include things like the
> Lhankor Mhys giving advice, the Issarians providing eloquence?
> Implicitly then, the rules do not permit any other kind of support
> than community support.

Community suppport is the great mass of folks who just hope and pray and chant and take minor roles in the rituals leading up to the trip.

Giving specific assistance is the purview of the specific narrator and group. I personally don't like the rest of hte group standing around watching the main hero and do ntothing.

One option would be to have an extended contest and then let the heros who are NOT celebrants lend AP or the like to the Celebrant using a relevant skill or magical ability.

> The example in the NB includes a Chalana Arroy priestess who
> certainly has available means for hindering the quest that would be
> more effective (for example, putting the celebrant to sleep).
> Implicitly she does not use them (which would be odd) or they are
> subsumed within her community 'support'.

Nope. That would be actively hindering something in the community. Can you see that sort of a problem that would cause? Just walking into a ritual that the rest of the clan is going on with and then just starting (figuratively) shooting? Think of the political ramifications, to say the least.

Oh, and sacrifices are noted as being helpful -- particular if you want to sacrifice, say, wealth. There are examples of how to help with a ritual in "Red Grove" (though, I personally don't like the adventure much) that allows other heroes to help by using their other skills to get neat/funky items.

> So, how difficult IS breaking through, in Gloranthan terms, when you
> do and do not have a clan supporting you? If wyters can help, the
> publication of TR just made heroquests easier to perform with clan
> support, since there has not been a simultaneous increasing in the
> barrier's strength (still at 10W3).

With a community backing you, its relatively easy. That's one of the many values of having a community to back you up. Even at ordinary support, its helpful. You have the holy site (important), the support and the resources (whatever they may be) of a clan of 1000 (or whatever) people. If you are enacting a heroquest hwich is central or particular to your clan, you might even have a weak spot or hole associated with that quest.

Doing it by yourself, on the fly, without prep or holy site is incredibly tough. Unless, of course, you're a Capital Aitch Hero...

Its all in the preparations. Outlaws have trouble doing heroquests (which is probably a good thing -- I'd hate to see Gagarthi doing regular heroquests).

Jeff