Re: Failure at the end of a HQ

From: Nick_at_...
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:31:42 -0000

David Dunham wrote:

> Plenty of heroquests involve fleeing enemies, but I can't
> recollect any myth where the hero has trouble crossing back
> to the normal world after a success.

As the Sybil warns Aeneas before their descent into the underworld:

... facilis descensus Averno
noctes atque dies patet atri ianua Ditis; sed revocare gradum superasque evadere ad auras, hoc opus, hic labor est.

                                (Virgil, Aeneid VI, 126-9).

"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the underworld lies open both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above -- that's the task, that's the toil."

Admittedly, Aeneas seems to get back straightforwardly enough (but does through through the Ivory Gate of *False* Dreams, which may represent a last-minute cock-up on his otherwise largely successful heroquest).

Cheers, Nick