Re: I could use some advice...

From: gamartin_at_...
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:56:45 -0000

> This has been one of my problems... deciding which AP exchanges to
describe as
> "Your arrow smacks into the tree by his head driving him to take
cover" and which
> to describe as "Your arrow whizzes by his head, slowing his
approach, but he
> continues to advance."

charger loses AP: they hesitate, are slowed charger transfers AP: they go to ground, take cover, get wounded etc

shooter loses AP: blew it, not effect, they kept charging shooter transfers AP: leaves opening, the pressure lets up, much ground made

Remember the advice to avoid concrete descriptions as the GM. Int he two examples you gave, the first cild be an example of a victory by the shooter, the second a victory by the charger. Also, that the contest COULD be won by either side with no physical injury - the chargers could be pinned down by an AP defeat, rather than killed.

But this is a major issue, which crops up from time to time. I developed a zoning system for handling range bands at the skirmish/small unit scale, which arose from trying to address this question, but it did not catch on.